Friday, October 8, 2010

Gadgets Away!

I was trying to remember why we hadn’t yet seen IronMan 2, and the reason escapes me.


Great Papa was positive that we had seen it at the Drive-in, but as it turned out, he was only remembering the previews and only thought he had seen the movie!


Therefore, our Family Movie night consisted of Prince of Persia and IronMan 2. (Both delightful and fun and Errol slept through them as usual!)

Now, think back and see if you can remember the scene in IronMan2 when IronMan visits Pepper in her President’s office?

There, on her desk is a rotating gadget performing with perpetual motion –

(actually called Swinging Sticks Kinetic Desk Sculpture)-- which the camera keeps an eye on until IronMan collapses the gizmo because it was rotating on his nerves as he was trying to talk to Pepper.


That tiny, little obscure and insignificant scene perked-up Great Papa!


You could see the cogs working in his brain as he meditated over the details of him scheduling and arranging himself to get to the Hansen Planatarium Gift shop (the mecca of gadgets) where he could obtain his very own IronMan 2 Gadget.

Only the best laid plans are often just that:   plans that don’t happen.

Great Papa must have been very disappointed when he asked the Sales-People at the Hansen Planaterium Gift shop if they had "THE GADGET".  They didn’t.  Great Papa loves that shop and we can assume that as he pondered his dilemma, he became determined that he wasn’t going to return home empty handed.
Great Papa Phones Home: I’ve finished work early and since I’m in Salt Lake, I’m going to drive over to the Hansen Planaterium and maybe go to a 3D movie, too.
Great: I want to go to a 3D movie, too.
Great Papa: You do? Oh. Ok, I’ll have to find another time when I can take you to the 3D movie, so I won’t go without you. I’ll just look at the what there is to see.
Great hands me the Phone: Daddy, did you buy the IronMan gadget?
Great Papa: Uh…Uh…..Uh…..Uh…. Well……No I didn’t……
Me: Are you going to buy it?
Great Papa: Uh...Uh...Uh....Uh....Well......No.
We end the phone call and I turn to Great telling her something's up because Great Papa was hesitant and trying to evade answering. (Great Papa now says that he was answering in that manner by design and  that he was carefully calculating how to throw me off.)
Great responds with a pondering question: Well then, just WHAT did he get?
TRUE PERPETUAL MOTION!!
 
Annonymous thinks this is his best gadget yet! 

Sorry to Great Papa's other grandkids!







Annonymous had him sign a Will in blood:


(Hate to break it to her, but Seniority takes the prize, and she's down on the totem-pole!)

INSPIRATIONAL FAMILY FOCUS:  Elder Claudio R. M. Costa Of the Seventy gave a talk a few years back:  "Fun and Happiness"

"Happiness can encompass fun as well, but fun alone will not assure us true happiness. We are happy to talk to our children, to enjoy the family, to get together on family night....happiness is much more than just fun. Fun is just a fleeting moment, but happiness is a lasting thing.

True happiness comes from keeping the commandments of God. Being obedient to God’s commandments, we will live happily for all eternity. The Lord said in Alma 41:10 that “wickedness never was happiness.”  I know that one of the factors that greatly influences our happiness is listening to the counsel of the living prophets who teach us in this Church."

I'm reminded of the scripture in Mosiah 2:41: “And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.”

I have a testimony that God lives, that Jesus is the Christ, our Savior and Redeemer. He gave His precious life for each one of us. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. This I know with all my heart. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that it can lead us to the pathways of happiness."


5 comments:

Adam and Aubrey said...

haha! The grandkids are all going to get some awesome gadget willed to them! At least that's the hope, right?! We actually just this past week saw both of these movies as well. I saw that little gadget and thought of Papa. That's funny. If I ever see one, I'll for sure pick it up for him!

Queen of the Castle said...

Whatever mom. I have a signed contract. What do you have??

Queen of the Castle said...

Aubrey - I don't think he knows what he has. I have found that it's just easier to assign the gidger gadgets to myself. Otherwise we will have to wait for him to create a spreadsheet that he can put in his phone and figure out how to reprogram every time that he forgets he has it. You know... now that I mentioned this.... now he is actually going to create one. :)

Adam and Aubrey said...

haha. He probably will! We should beat him to the punch and make our own spreadsheet, giving us first dibs.... ;)

Felicia said...

Brayden would REALLY love that thingamajig...

I read this out loud to Todd this morning (he doesn't keep up with blogs)and we had a good laugh :o)

Post a Comment

Please leave us a message and let us know what you think! We hope you enjoyed your visit!